Re: sortsupport for text

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: sortsupport for text
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Peter Geoghegan <peter@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Here we know that it doesn't matter, so the application of Knuth's first law
>> of optimization is appropriate.
>
> I'm not advocating some Byzantine optimisation, or even something that
> could reasonably be described as an optimisation at all here. I'm
> questioning why you've unnecessarily complicated the code by having
> the buffer size just big enough to fit the biggest value seen so far,
> but arbitrarily aligned to a value that is completely irrelevant to
> bttextfastcmp_locale(), rather than using simple geometric expansion,
> which is more or less the standard way of managing the growth of a
> dynamic array.

Well, so... palloc, and most malloc implementations, don't actually
just double every time forever.  They double up to some relatively
small number like 1MB, and then they expand in 1MB chunks.
std::vector may well behave as you're describing, but that's doing
something completely different.  We're not accumulating a string of
unknown length into a buffer, with the risk of having to copy the
whole buffer every time we reallocate.  We know the exact size of the
buffer we need for any given string, so the cost of a pfree/palloc is
only the cost of releasing and allocating memory; there is no
additional copying cost, as there would be for std::vector.

Look at it another way.  Right now, the worst case number of temporary
buffer allocations is about 2N lg N, assuming we do about N lg N
comparisons during a sort.  If we simply implemented the most naive
buffer reallocation algorithm possible, we might in the worst case
reallocate each buffer up to N times.  That is already better than
what we do now by a factor of lg N.  If we suppose N is about a
million, that's an improvement of 20x *in the worst case* - typically,
the improvement will be much larger, because all the strings will be
of similar length or we won't hit them in exactly increasing order of
length.  The algorithm I've actually implemented bounds the worst case
1024 times more tightly - given N strings, we can't need to enlarge
the buffer more than N/1024 times.  So with N of around a million,
this algorithm should eliminate *at least* 99.995% of the pallocs we
currently do .  How much better does it need to be?

> You have to grow the array in some way. The basic approach I've
> outlined has something to recommend it - why does it make sense to
> align the size of the buffer to TEXTBUFLEN in particular though?

There's nothing magic about TEXTBUFLEN as far as that goes.  We could
round to the nearest multiple of 8kB or whatever if that seemed
better.  But if we rounded to, say, the nearest 1MB, then someone
sorting strings that are 2kB long would use 2MB of memory for these
buffers.  Considering that we ship with work_mem = 1MB, that could
easily end up wasting almost twice work_mem.  I don't see how you can
view that as a trivial problem.  It might be worth sucking that up if
it seemed likely to dramatically improve performance, but it doesn't.

> It's
> quite easy to imagine what you've done here resulting in an excessive
> number of allocations (and pfree()s), which *could* be expensive.

Actually, I can't imagine that at all, per the above analysis.  If I
could, I might agree with you.  :-)

> There is a trade-off between space and time to be made here, but I
> don't know why you think that the right choice is to use almost the
> smallest possible amount of memory in all cases.

Because I think that with the current implementation I can have my
cake and eat it, too.  I believe I've gotten essentially all the
available speedup for essentially no memory wastage.  If you can
convince me that I've missed something and there is still a meaningful
amount of palloc overhead left to be squeezed out, I'm all ears.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company