Re: Parallel Seq Scan

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Дата
Re: Parallel Seq Scan  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The problem here, as I see it, is that we're flying blind.  If there's
>> just one spindle, I think it's got to be right to read the relation
>> sequentially.  But if there are multiple spindles, it might not be,
>> but it seems hard to predict what we should do.  We don't know what
>> the RAID chunk size is or how many spindles there are, so any guess as
>> to how to chunk up the relation and divide up the work between workers
>> is just a shot in the dark.
>
> I thought the proposal to chunk on the basis of "each worker processes
> one 1GB-sized segment" should work all right.  The kernel should see that
> as sequential reads of different files, issued by different processes;
> and if it can't figure out how to process that efficiently then it's a
> very sad excuse for a kernel.

I agree.  But there's only value in doing something like that if we
have evidence that it improves anything.  Such evidence is presently a
bit thin on the ground.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Parallel Seq Scan
От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: Misaligned BufferDescriptors causing major performance problems on AMD