Re: Remove configure --disable-float4-byval and --disable-float8-byval

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Remove configure --disable-float4-byval and --disable-float8-byval
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 6:33 AM Peter Eisentraut
> On 2019-12-12 23:06, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> > Apparently Linux has almost no upstream resources for testing 32-bit
> > x86, and it shows:
>
> But isn't 32-bit Windows still a thing?  Or does that work differently?

Well, again, I think the proposal here is not get rid of 32-bit
support, but to have less code that only gets regularly tested on
32-bit machines. If we made datums 8 bytes everywhere, we would have
less such code, and very likely fewer bugs. And as pointed out
upthread, although some things might perform worse for the remaining
supply of 32-bit users, other things might perform better. I'm not
100% sure that it would work out to a win overall, but I think there's
a good chance, especially when you factor in the reduced bug surface.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company