Re: finding changed blocks using WAL scanning

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: finding changed blocks using WAL scanning
Дата
Re: finding changed blocks using WAL scanning  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 8:38 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 03:51:14PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > I was thinking that a dedicated background worker would be a good
> > option, but Stephen Frost seems concerned (over on the other thread)
> > about how much load that would generate.  That never really occurred
> > to me as a serious issue and I suspect for many people it wouldn't be,
> > but there might be some.
>
> WAL segment size can go up to 1GB, and this does not depend on the
> compilation anymore.  So scanning a very large segment is not going to
> be free.

The segment size doesn't have much to do with it.  If you make
segments bigger, you'll have to scan fewer larger ones; if you make
them smaller, you'll have more smaller ones.  The only thing that
really matters is the amount of I/O and CPU required, and that doesn't
change very much as you vary the segment size.

> I think that the performance concerns of Stephen are legit
> as now we have on the WAL partitions sequential read and write
> patterns.

As to that, what I'm proposing here is no different than what we are
already doing with physical and logical replication, except that it's
probably a bit cheaper.  Physical replication reads all the WAL and
sends it all out over the network.  Logical replication reads all the
WAL, does a bunch of computation, and then sends the results, possibly
filtered, out over the network.  This would read the WAL and then
write a relatively small file to your local disk.

I think the impact will be about the same as having one additional
standby, give or take.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company