Re: Large rows number, and large objects

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Large rows number, and large objects
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
<ildefonso.camargo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
>> <ildefonso.camargo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > So, the question is, if I were to store 8TB worth of data into large
>> > objects system, it would actually make the pg_largeobject table slow,
>> > unless it was automatically partitioned.
>>
>> I think it's a bit of an oversimplification to say that large,
>> unpartitioned tables are automatically going to be slow.  Suppose you
>> had 100 tables that were each 80GB instead of one table that is 8TB.
>> The index lookups would be a bit faster on the smaller tables, but it
>> would take you some non-zero amount of time to figure out which index
>> to read in the first place.  It's not clear that you are really
>> gaining all that much.
>
> Certainly.... but it is still very blurry to me on *when* it is better to
> partition than not.

I think that figuring that out is as much an art as it is a science.
It's better to partition when most of your queries are going to touch
only a single partition; when you are likely to want to remove
partitions in their entirety; when VACUUM starts to have trouble
keeping up... but the reality is that in some cases you probably have
to try it both ways and see which one works better.

>> Many of the advantages of partitioning have to do with maintenance
>> tasks.  For example, if you gather data on a daily basis, it's faster
>> to drop the partition that contains Thursday's data than it is to do a
>> DELETE that finds the rows and deletes them one at a time.  And VACUUM
>> can be a problem on very large tables as well, because only one VACUUM
>> can run on a table at any given time.  If the frequency with which the
>> table needs to be vacuumed is less than the time it takes for VACUUM
>> to complete, then you've got a problem.
>
> And.... pg_largeobject table doesn't get vacuumed? I mean, isn't that table
> just as any other table?

Yes, it is.  So, I agree: putting 8TB of data in there is probably
going to hurt.

>> But I think that if we want to optimize pg_largeobject, we'd probably
>> gain a lot more by switching to a different storage format than we
>> could ever gain by partitioning the table.  For example, we might
>> decide that any object larger than 16MB should be stored in its own
>> file.  Even somewhat smaller objects would likely benefit from being
>> stored in larger chunks - say, a bunch of 64kB chunks, with any
>> overage stored in the 2kB chunks we use now.  While this might be an
>> interesting project, it's probably not going to be anyone's top
>> priority, because it would be a lot of work for the amount of benefit
>> you'd get.  There's an easy workaround: store the files in the
>> filesystem, and a path to those files in the database.
>
> Ok, one reason for storing a file *in* the DB is to be able to do PITR of a
> wrongly deleted files (or overwritten, and that kind of stuff), on the
> filesystem level you would need a versioning filesystem (and I don't, yet,
> know any that is stable in the Linux world).
>
> Also, you can use streaming replication and at the same time you stream your
> data, your files are also streamed to a secondary server (yes, on the
> FS-level you could use drbd or similar).

Well, those are good arguments for putting the functionality in the
database and making it all play nicely with write-ahead logging.  But
nobody's felt motivated to write the code yet, so...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: Large rows number, and large objects
Сообщение: Re: Large rows number, and large objects