Re: Assertions in PL/PgSQL

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Assertions in PL/PgSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 5:48 AM, Amit Khandekar
<amit.khandekar@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>> The assert levels sound a bit like a user might be confused by these
>>> levels being present at both places: In the RAISE syntax itself, and the
>>> assert GUC level. But  I like the syntax. How about keeping the ASSERT
>>> keyword optional ? When we have WHEN, we anyway mean that we ware asserting
>>> that this condition must be true. So something like this :
>>>
>>> RAISE [ level ] 'format' [, expression [, ... ]] [ USING option =
>>> expression [, ... ] ];
>>> RAISE [ level ] condition_name [ USING option = expression [, ... ] ];
>>> RAISE [ level ] SQLSTATE 'sqlstate' [ USING option = expression [, ... ]
>>> ];
>>> RAISE [ level ] USING option = expression [, ... ];
>>> RAISE [ ASSERT ] WHEN bool_expression;
>>> RAISE ;
>>>

>> I don't think so it is a good idea. WHEN clause should be independent on
>> exception level.
>

> I am ok with generalizing the WHEN clause across all levels. The main
> proposal was for adding assertion support, so we can keep the WHEN
> generalization as a nice-to-have stuff and do it only if it comes as a
> natural extension in the assertion support patch.

I think that's right: ISTM that at this point there are two different
proposals here.

1. Allowing ASSERT as an argument to RAISE.

2. Allowing RAISE to have a WHEN clause.

Those two things are logically separate.  We could do either one
without doing the other one.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company