Re: Drop type "smgr"?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Drop type "smgr"?
Дата
Re: Drop type "smgr"?  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 11:06 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> It's certainly possible/likely that we're going to end up needing to
> widen buffer tags to represent the smgr explicitly, because some use
> cases are going to need a real database spec, some are going to need
> a real tablespace spec, and some might need both.  Maybe we should
> just bite that bullet.

Well, Andres will probably complain about that.  He thinks, IIUC, that
the buffer tags are too wide already and that it's significantly
hurting performance on very very common operations - like buffer
lookups.  I haven't verified that myself, but I tend to think he knows
what he's talking about.

Anyway, given that your argument started off from the premise that we
had to have a pg_database row, I think we'd better look a little
harder at whether that premise is correct before getting too excited
here.  As I said in my earlier reply, I think that we probably don't
need to have a pg_database row given that we wrap around to
FirstNormalObjectId; any value we hard-code would be less than that.
If there are other reasons why we'd need that, it might be useful to
hear about them.

However, all we really need to decide on this thread is whether we
need 'smgr' exposed as an SQL type.  And I can't see why we need that
no matter how all of the rest of this turns out.  Nobody is currently
proposing to give users a choice of smgrs, just to use them for
internal stuff.  Even if that changed later, it doesn't necessarily
mean we'd add back an SQL type, or that if we did it would look like
the one we have today.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company