Re: Tables cannot have INSTEAD OF triggers

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Tables cannot have INSTEAD OF triggers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On 2015-04-01 13:29:33 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> WHEN won't help; if there are any INSTEAD OF triggers, no insert will
>>> happen, whether the triggers actually fire or not.
>
>> Well, right now it doesn't work at all. It seems pretty reasonable to
>> define things so that the insert happens normally if there's no matching
>> INSTEAD OF trigger.
>
> It would absolutely *not* be reasonable for WHEN conditions for triggers
> on tables to work completely differently than they do for triggers on
> views.  That ship's sailed.

Clue me in, because I'm confused.  If no trigger fires, we do whatever
an object of that type would normally do in the absence of any
trigger, no?  For a view, that's error out; for a table, that's
perform the action on the underlying data.  That doesn't seem terribly
unprincipled.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company