Re: MySQL search query is not executing in Postgres DB

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: MySQL search query is not executing in Postgres DB
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2012, at 12:57 PM, Rob Wultsch wrote:
>>
>> Where first_name is string the queries above have very different
>> behaviour in MySQL. The first does a full table scan and coerces
>> first_name to an integer (so '5adfs' -> 5)
>
> Oh my, I can't wait to see someone rise to the defense of *this* behavior!

Well, this gets to my point.  The behavior Rob is mentioning here is
the one that caused us to make the implicit casting changes in the
first place.  And, in this situation, I agree that throwing an error
is much better than silently doing something that may be quite
different from what the user expects.

However, the fact that the implicit casting changes are an improvement
in this case does not mean that they are an improvement in every case.All I am asking for here is that we examine the
variouscases on

their merits rather than assuming that our way must be better than
MySQL's way, or visca versa.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company