Re: Hide 'Execution time' in EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Hide 'Execution time' in EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> wrote:
> there's another problem in this area: 9.4 adds "Planning time" to the
> EXPLAIN output. If you don't want to see that, you need to use (costs
> off), but this, well, also disables the costs. If you are running
> regression tests to actually test the costs, you've lost in 9.4.
>
> This problem just emerged in the Multicorn FDW where the regression
> tests were monitoring the costs, but in 9.4 (costs off) kills that.
>
> https://github.com/Kozea/Multicorn/pull/7
>
> Can we have "EXPLAIN (timing off)" in 9.4+ hide the "Planning time"
> line? That would even be backwards compatible with 9.x where it would
> be a no-op.

I don't think that'll work becuase:
       /* check that timing is used with EXPLAIN ANALYZE */       if (es.timing && !es.analyze)
ereport(ERROR,                              (errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
errmsg("EXPLAINoption TIMING

requires ANALYZE")));

--
Robert Haas