Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Well, we are unlikely to backpatch that parse-and-report option so it
> would be +2 years before it could be expected to work for even
> single-major-version upgrades.  That just seems unworkable.  Yeah. :-(

I'd like to see the patch first, but I am not convinced that we
couldn't back-patch this.  I am not a big fan of back-patching things
that are not bug fixes, but I think you can make a fairly reasonable
argument that this is a bug in pg_ctl, and therefore in pg_upgrade,
and that we should therefore fix it.  Frankly, I think the
parse-and-report option is the least of our troubles.  Implementing
that much without breaking anything seems like it should be quite
straightforward.  If that's all we need to get ourselves out of this
mess, then let's just go do it (carefully).

The trickier part is that you then have to make sure that - in the
course of fixing the cases where pg_ctl behaves properly today - you
don't make any backward-incompatible behavior changes.  Just for
example, we can't make a unilateral decision now that - in
split-config scenarios - pg_ctl should always be invoked with a -D
argument that points to the postgresql.conf directory rather than the
data directory, because per your email upthread there are cases where
that doesn't work today, and therefore people are probably pointing at
the data directory.  But we probably *could* get away with making
cases work that are currently broken - e.g. allow pg_ctl stop -D $FOO
to work if $FOO is *either* the config dir or the real data dir.  Now,
is that too much to back-patch?  Without having looked at the code,
I'm not sure, but it might turn out it's not that bad.  We've
certainly back-patched scarier stuff before when it's been necessary
to fix bugs - see, for example, commit
ceaf5052c6a7bee794211f5d4c503639bdf3dff0.

Furthermore, if we look at this and ultimately conclude that it's too
invasive to back-patch, all is not lost.  We have a recommended layout
for our tree, and the Ubuntu and Gentoo folks have decided not to use
it (which is perfectly fine), and they have installed various
workarounds for problems like "pg_ctl doesn't work well with that
directory layout".  This will be another scenario that they will need
to work around, and I'm guessing that they are more than capable of
doing that (if they aren't, perhaps they shouldn't have insisted on a
different layout in the first place... but I don't think that's the
case).  We can also document the workarounds for other users who have
this problem, and we can fix it for real in 9.2.  Sure, that will mean
it's 2+ years before people really start being able to take advantage
of the new features, but I don't think that makes it not worth doing.
Rome wasn't built in a day, and this didn't get broken in a day.  I'm
not abandoning all hope of a short-term fix, but even if we do give up
on that, I don't think that a long-term fix plus some documentation of
what to do meanwhile is a crazy approach to the problem.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company