Re: Enabling Checksums

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Enabling Checksums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> Or, I could write up a test framework in ruby or python, using the
> appropriate pg driver, and some not-so-portable shell commands to start
> and stop the server. Then, I can publish that on this list, and that
> would at least make it easier to test semi-manually and give greater
> confidence in pre-commit revisions.

That latter approach is similar to what happened with SSI's isolation
tester.  It started out in Python, and then Heikki rewrote it in C.
If Python/Ruby code is massively simpler to write than the C code,
that might be a good way to start out.  It'll be an aid to reviewers
even if neither it nor any descendent gets committed.

Frankly, I think some automated testing harness (written in C or Perl)
that could do fault-injection tests as part of the buildfarm would be
amazingly awesome.  I'm drooling just thinking about it.  But I guess
that's getting ahead of myself.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company