Re: Draft release notes complete

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Draft release notes complete
Дата
Re: Draft release notes complete  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I have completed my draft of the 9.2 release notes, and committed it to
> git.

Extra parens:
Remove the spclocation field from pg_tablespace (Magnus Hagander, Tom Lane))
Reduce overhead of creating virtual transaction id locks ((Robert
Haas, Jeff Davis)

The antecedent of "these" is unclear:
Allow backends to detect postmaster death via a pipe read failure,
rather than polling (Peter Geoghegan, Heikki Linnakangas)
These are internally called "latches".

Missing comma:
Cancel queries if clients get disconnected (Florian Pflug Greg Jaskiewicz)

You mean "effect":
Such casts have no affect.

I think all three of these are the same thing:
Avoid table and index rebuilds when NUMERIC, VARBIT, and temporal
columns are changed in compatible ways (Noah Misch)
Reduce need to rebuild indexes for various ALTER TABLE operations
(Noah Misch) DUPLICATE?
Avoid index rebuilds for no-rewrite ALTER TABLE / ALTER TYPE (Noah Misch)

This feature wasn't committed at all:
Parallel pg_dump (Robert Haas, Joachim Wieland) DETAILS?

Yes, this is still true:
This is currently unused. STILL TRUE?

As a general comment, I think that your new policy of crediting the
reviewer on every feature except when that reviewer is also a
committer has produced a horrific mess.  Just to pick one of many
examples, consider this item:

Add a security_barrier option for views (KaiGai Kohei, Noah Misch)

Here is what the commit message says:
   Patch by KaiGai Kohei; original problem report by Heikki Linnakangas   (in October 2009!).  Review (in earlier
versions)by Noah Misch and   others.  Design advice by Tom Lane and myself.  Further review and   cleanup by me.

So there are four people mentioned in this commit message, and you've
picked out two of them to credit, not on the basis of who did the most
work, but rather on the basis of which ones happen to not be
committers.  The result is that, as I read through these release
notes, one gets what I believe to be a very misleading notion of who
developed which features.  I don't object to not being credited on
this one, but I don't think it makes sense to credit Noah and NOT
credit me.  As you have it, people who did little more than say "yep,
looks fine to me" are credited almost equally with the people who
wrote the code, while a committer who heavily revised the patch may
not be mentioned at all, or sometimes (seemingly at random) they are.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company