Re: Proposal - Support for National Characters functionality

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Proposal - Support for National Characters functionality
Дата
Re: Proposal - Support for National Characters functionality  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, what I know almost all use utf8 without problems. Long time I didn't
> see any request for multi encoding support.

Well, not *everything* can be represented as UTF-8; I think this is
particularly an issue with Asian languages.

If we chose to do it, I think that per-column encoding support would
end up looking a lot like per-column collation support: it would be
yet another per-column property along with typoid, typmod, and
typcollation.  I'm not entirely sure it's worth it, although FWIW I do
believe Oracle has something like this.  At any rate, it seems like
quite a lot of work.

Another idea would be to do something like what we do for range types
- i.e. allow a user to declare a type that is a differently-encoded
version of some base type.  But even that seems pretty hard.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company