Re: More tzdb fun: POSIXRULES is being deprecated upstream

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: More tzdb fun: POSIXRULES is being deprecated upstream
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:26 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Here's a proposed patch to do that.  To explain this, we more or less
> have to fully document the POSIX timezone string format (otherwise
> nobody's gonna understand what "M3.2.0,M11.1.0" means).  That's something
> we've glossed over for many years, and I still feel like it's not
> something to explain in-line in section 8.5.3, so I shoved all the gory
> details into a new section in Appendix B.  To be clear, nothing here is
> new behavior, it was just undocumented before.

I'm glad you are proposing to document this, because the set of people
who had no idea what "M3.2.0,M11.1.0" means definitely included me.
It's a little confusing, though, that you documented it as Mm.n.d but
then in the text the order of explanation is d then m then n. Maybe
switch the text around so the order matches, or even use something
like Mmonth.occurrence.day.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company