[MASSMAIL]macOS Ventura won't generate core dumps

От Robert Haas
Тема [MASSMAIL]macOS Ventura won't generate core dumps
Дата
Re: macOS Ventura won't generate core dumps  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
At least not for me. According to various things I found on the
Internet, it's now required that you codesign your binaries and give
them an entitlement in order to generate core dumps:

https://nasa.github.io/trick/howto_guides/How-to-dump-core-file-on-MacOS.html

But according to previous on-list discussion, code-signing a binary
means that DYLD_* will be ignored:

http://postgr.es/m/920451.1634265967@sss.pgh.pa.us

Now, if DYLD_* is ignored, then our regression tests won't work
properly. But if core dumps are not enabled, then how am I supposed to
debug things that can only be debugged with a core dump?

Unless I'm missing something, this is positively rage-inducing. It's
reasonable, on Apple's part, to want to install more secure defaults,
but having no practical way of overriding the defaults is not
reasonable. And by "practical," I mean ideally (a) doesn't require a
macOS-specific patch to the PostgreSQL source repository but at least
(b) can be done somehow without breaking other important things that
also need to work.

Anyone have any ideas?

--
Robert Haas