Re: What is happening on buildfarm member crake?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: What is happening on buildfarm member crake?
Дата
Re: What is happening on buildfarm member crake?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Yeah.  If Robert's diagnosis is correct, and it sounds pretty plausible,
> then this is really just one instance of a bug that's probably pretty
> widespread in our signal handlers.  Somebody needs to go through 'em
> all and look for touches of shared memory.

I haven't made a comprehensive study of every signal handler we have,
but looking at procsignal_sigusr1_handler, the list of functions that
can get called from here is quite short: CheckProcSignal(),
RecoveryConflictInterrupt(), SetLatch(), and latch_sigusr1_handler().
Taking those in reverse order:

- latch_sigusr1_handler() is fine.  Nothing down this path touches
shared memory; moreover, if we've already disowned our latch, the
waiting flag won't be set and this will do nothing at all.
- The call to SetLatch() is problematic as we already know.  This is
new code in 9.4.
- RecoveryConflictInterrupt() does nothing if proc_exit_inprogress is
set.  So it's fine.
- CheckProcSignal() also appears problematic.  If we've already
detached shared memory, MyProcSignalSlot will be pointing to garbage,
but we'll try to dereference it anyway.

I think maybe the best fix is to *clear* MyProc in
ProcKill/AuxiliaryProcKill and MyProcSignalSlot in
CleanupProcSignalState, as shown in the attached patch.  Most places
that dereference those pointers already check that they aren't null,
and we can easily add a NULL guard to the SetLatch() call in
procsignal_sigusr1_handler, which the attached patch also does.

This might not be a complete fix to every problem of this type that
exists anywhere in our code, but I think it's enough to make the world
safe for procsignal_sigusr1_handler.  We also have a *large* number of
signal handlers that do little more than this:

    if (MyProc)
        SetLatch(&MyProc->procLatch);

...and this change should make all of those safe as well.  So I think
this is a pretty good start.

Assuming nobody objects too much to this basic approach, should I
back-patch the parts of this that apply pre-9.4?  The problem with
CleanupProcSignalState, at least, goes all the way back to 9.0, when
the signal-multiplexing infrastructure was introduced.  But the
probability of an actual crash must be pretty low, or I imagine we
would have noticed this sooner.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company