Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 3:00 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Ok, then please do so, and please be prepared to continue to maintain
> the documentation of both methods moving forward, because others have
> tried and have (rightfully, in my opinion) decided that it's frankly not
> worth the effort and ultimately just terribly confusing for users that
> we have these two different backup methods and even just updating the
> documentation for one or the other is downright painful (to the point
> that people litterally give up on it).  That really isn't a good place
> to be in.

This, to me, is downright rude.  You don't get to tell other people
what to do.  Nor do you get to tell other people "hey, I'm going to
make this change that you don't like unless you agree to do the work
which I specify."  If you want to make a change, you have to build
consensus for that change.  If you can't get people to agree with your
proposed change, what happens is that you don't get to make that
change.  Whether other people choose to do any work that you and they
might happen to agree is valuable is up to them.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company