Re: MySQL search query is not executing in Postgres DB

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: MySQL search query is not executing in Postgres DB
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> Strings of digits used that way should not be stored in numeric fields at
> all, IMNSHO, just as zip codes and phone numbers should not be. They should
> be text in the first place, and if the OP had done that he wouldn't have had
> any difficulty about this. I hope that's what the Lone Ranger would do ...

The argument isn't about whether the user made the right design
choices; it's about whether he should be forced to insert an explicit
type cast to get the query to do what it is unambiguously intended to
do.  I don't believe it's entirely self-evident that it's always
better to store strings of integers in a text column rather than as an
integer or bigint - integers are pretty fast and compact.  Even
granting that a text field would have been better, nobody's arguing
that you can't do LIKE against an integer column; we're just
discussing what syntax is required to make the user's intent
acceptably clear.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: MySQL search query is not executing in Postgres DB
Сообщение: Re: MySQL search query is not executing in Postgres DB