Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 05/07/2014 11:13 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> We ought to be realistic about the fact that the current
>> recommendations around sizing shared_buffers are nothing more than
>> folk wisdom. That's the best we have right now, but that seems quite
>> unsatisfactory to me.
>
> So, as one of several people who put literally hundreds of hours into
> the original benchmarking which established the sizing recommendations
> for shared_buffers (and other settings), I find the phrase "folk wisdom"
> personally offensive.  So, can we stop with this?
>
> Otherwise, I don't think I can usefully participate in this discussion.

+1.

I think it is quite accurate to say that we can't predict precisely
what value of shared_buffers will perform best for a particular
workload and on a particular system.  There are people out there using
very large values and very small ones, according to what they have
found most effective.  But that does not mean, as the phrase "folk
wisdom" might be taken to imply, that we don't know anything at all
about what actually works well in practice.  Because we do know quite
a bit about that.  I and people I work with have been able to improve
performance greatly on many systems by providing guidance based on
what this community has been able to understand on this topic, and
dismissing it as rubbish is wrong.

Also, I seriously doubt that a one-size-fits-all guideline about
setting shared_buffers will ever be right for every workload.
Workloads, by their nature, are complex beasts.  The size of the
workload varies, and which portions of it are how hot vary, and the
read-write mix varies, and those are not problems with PostgreSQL;
those are problems with data.  That is not to say that we can't do
anything to make PostgreSQL work better across a wider range of
settings for shared_buffers, but it is to say that no matter how much
work we do on the code, setting this optimally for every workload will
probably remain complex.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers
Сообщение: Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers