Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning
Дата
Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning  (David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 9:32 AM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have pondered on the possible hazards before writing the patch,
> mainly because the concerns about a previously discussed proposal were
> along similar lines [1].

True. I think that the hazards are narrower with this proposal,
because if you *delay* locking a partition that you eventually need,
then you might end up trying to actually execute a portion of the plan
that's no longer valid. That seems like hopelessly bad news. On the
other hand, with this proposal, you skip locking altogether, but only
for parts of the plan that you don't plan to execute. That's still
kind of scary, but not to nearly the same degree.

> IIUC, you're saying the plan tree is subject to inspection by non-core
> code before ExecutorStart() has initialized a PlanState tree, which
> must have discarded pruned portions of the plan tree.  I wouldn't
> claim to have scanned *all* of the core code that could possibly
> access the invalidated portions of the plan tree, but from what I have
> seen, I couldn't find any site that does.  An ExecutorStart_hook()
> gets to do that, but from what I can see it is expected to call
> standard_ExecutorStart() before doing its thing and supposedly only
> looks at the PlanState tree, which must be valid.  Actually, EXPLAIN
> also does ExecutorStart() before starting to look at the plan (the
> PlanState tree), so must not run into pruned plan tree nodes.  All
> that said, it does sound like wishful thinking to say that no problems
> can possibly occur.

Yeah. I don't think it's only non-core code we need to worry about
either. What if I just do EXPLAIN ANALYZE on a prepared query that
ends up pruning away some stuff? IIRC, the pruned subplans are not
shown, so we might escape disaster here, but FWIW if I'd committed
that code I would have pushed hard for showing those and saying "(not
executed)" .... so it's not too crazy to imagine a world in which
things work that way.

> At first, I had tried to implement this such that the
> Append/MergeAppend nodes are edited to record the result of initial
> pruning, but it felt wrong to be munging the plan tree in plancache.c.

It is. You can't munge the plan tree: it's required to be strictly
read-only once generated. It can be serialized and deserialized for
transmission to workers, and it can be shared across executions.

> Or, maybe this won't be a concern if performing ExecutorStart() is
> made a part of CheckCachedPlan() somehow, which would then take locks
> on the relation as the PlanState tree is built capturing any plan
> invalidations, instead of AcquireExecutorLocks(). That does sound like
> an ambitious undertaking though.

On the surface that would seem to involve abstraction violations, but
maybe that could be finessed somehow. The plancache shouldn't know too
much about what the executor is going to do with the plan, but it
could ask the executor to perform a step that has been designed for
use by the plancache. I guess the core problem here is how to pass
around information that is node-specific before we've stood up the
executor state tree. Maybe the executor could have a function that
does the pruning and returns some kind of array of results that can be
used both to decide what to lock and also what to consider as pruned
at the start of execution. (I'm hand-waving about the details because
I don't know.)

> Yeah, the premise of the patch is that "initial" pruning steps produce
> the same result both times.  I assumed that would be true because the
> pruning steps are not allowed to contain any VOLATILE expressions.
> Regarding the possibility that IMMUTABLE labeling of functions may be
> incorrect, I haven't considered if the runtime pruning code can cope
> or whether it should try to.  If such a case does occur in practice,
> the bad outcome would be an Assert failure in
> ExecGetRangeTableRelation() or using a partition unlocked in the
> non-assert builds, the latter of which feels especially bad.

Right. I think it's OK for a query to produce wrong answers under
those kinds of conditions - the user has broken everything and gets to
keep all the pieces - but doing stuff that might violate fundamental
assumptions of the system like "relations can only be accessed when
holding a lock on them" feels quite bad. It's not a stretch to imagine
that failing to follow those invariants could take the whole system
down, which is clearly too severe a consequence for the user's failure
to label things properly.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com