Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Дата
Ответ на Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Ответы Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Josh Berkus escribió:
>
>> We are missing one feature, which is the ability to relocate the
>> postgresql.auto.conf file if relocating it is desireable according to
>> some sysadmin spec.  This kind of ties into another patch which was
>> discussed on this list -- the ability to relocate the recovery.conf
>> file.
>
> Well, postgresql.conf is already relocatable.  Is there any advantage in
> being able to move postgresql.auto.conf to a different location than
> postgresql.conf?  I don't see any.  I didn't follow the recovery.conf
> discussion, but I imagine that the reason for wanting to be able to
> relocate it is related to standby vs. master distinction.  This doesn't
> apply to postgresql.auto.conf, I think, does it?
>
> If people want to drill real down, they can always have a
> postgresql.auto.conf that's a symlink. (In this light, we would ship an
> empty postgresql.auto.conf in a freshly initdb'd system.  IIRC the
> current patch already does that.)

My thought is that people might put postgresql.conf in a directory
that only contains configuration files and isn't writeable by the
postgres user.  So I would expect to find postgresql.auto.conf in the
data directory always.

But in general +1 for your proposal.

--
Robert Haas