Re: [HACKERS] increasing the default WAL segment size

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] increasing the default WAL segment size
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 3 January 2017 at 16:24, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> One way would be for the WALwriter to zerofill new files ahead of
>>> time, thus avoiding the latency spike.
>>
>> Sure, we could do that.  I think it's an independent improvement,
>> though: it is beneficial with or without this patch.
>
> The latency spike problem is exacerbated by increasing file size, so I
> think if we are allowing people to increase file size in this release
> then we should fix the knock-on problem it causes in this release
> also. If we don't fix it as part of this patch I would consider it an
> open item.

I think I'd like to see some benchmark results before forming an
opinion on whether that's a must-fix issue.  I'm not sure I believe
that allowing a larger WAL segment size is going to make things worse
more than it makes them better.  I think that should be tested, not
assumed true.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company