Re: pg_background (and more parallelism infrastructure patches)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pg_background (and more parallelism infrastructure patches)
Дата
Re: pg_background (and more parallelism infrastructure patches)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 7:01 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I do think that dsm_keep_mapping is a strange name for what it does.

OK, so let me see if I can summarize the votes so far on this (highly
important?) naming issue:

- Andres doesn't like "unkeep".  He suggests  dsm_manage_mapping(),
dsm_ensure_mapping_cleanup(), and dsm_remember_mapping() as possible
alternatives.
- Amit also doesn't like "unkeep".  He suggests dsm_change_mapping().
Alternatively, he suggests having a function called
dsm_manage_mapping() with an additional boolean parameter to indicate
whether we are keeping or unkeeping.
- Jim, without taking a position on whether the current name is
problematic, suggested the naming, suggested
dsm_(un)register_keep_mapping.
- I am unbothered by the name "unkeep".  But I suggested renaming
"dsm_keep_mapping" to "dsm_unregister_mapping" and adding
"dsm_register_mapping" as an alternative.
- Petr liked that proposal better than the others, although it wasn't
clear that he was unhappy with my original proposal.
- Alvaro proposes dsm_pin_mapping/dsm_unpin_mappng.
- Nobody's comments on any proposal made subsequent to the proposal
they made themselves.

After reviewing all of those possibilities with the sort of laser-like
focus the situation demands, I'm inclined to endorse Alvaro's proposal
to rename the existing dsm_keep_mapping() function to
dsm_pin_mapping() and the existing dsm_keep_segment() function to
dsm_pin_segment().  Then, I will add the new function as
dsm_unpin_mapping().  So:

1. Does anyone strongly object to that course of action?

2. Does anyone wish to argue for or against back-patching the name
changes to 9.4?  My feeling is that we may as well, because either
nobody's using this yet, in which case back-patching it won't break
anything, or somebody is, in which case we'll cause less pain by
breaking it before release than a year on.  But I don't care that much
either way, so I'll defer if others disagree.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company