Re: 9.6 and fsync=off

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: 9.6 and fsync=off
Дата
Re: 9.6 and fsync=off  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 9:49 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@2ndQuadrant.com> writes:
>> Do you want a patch along those lines now, or is it too late?
>
> We're certainly not going to consider fooling with this in 9.6.
> The situation for manual fsync-twiddling is no worse than it was in
> any prior release, and we are long past feature freeze.
>
> If you want to put it on your to-do queue for 9.7, feel free.

Agreed.

I also think that it would be a swell idea to detect whether a system
has ever crashed with fsync=off, and do something about that, like
maybe bleat on every subsequent startup for the lifetime of the
cluster.  I think Andres may have even proposed a patch for this sort
of thing before, although I don't remember for sure and I think he and
I disagreed on the details.  Sketch:

- Keep a copy of the fsync status in pg_control.
- If we ever enter recovery while it's turned off, say:
WARNING: Entering recovery with fsync=off; this cluster may be
irretrievably corrupted.
...and also set a separate flag indicating that we've done at least
one recovery with fsync=off.
- If that flag is set on a subsequent startup, say:
WARNING: Recovery was previously performed with fsync=off; this
cluster may be irretrievably corrupted.

While I'm kvetching, it might also be a good idea to have a timestamp
in pg_control indicating the date and time at which pg_resetxlog was
last run (and maybe the cluster creation time, too).  I run across way
too many clusters where the customer can't convincingly vouch for the
proposition that nothing evil has been done, and having some forensic
evidence available would make it easier to figure out where the blame
lies.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company