Re: Protect syscache from bloating with negative cache entries

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Protect syscache from bloating with negative cache entries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 3:16 AM Ideriha, Takeshi
<ideriha.takeshi@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> I'm afraid I may be quibbling about it.
> What about users who understand performance drops but don't want to
> add memory or decrease concurrency?
> I think that PostgreSQL has a parameter
> which most of users don't mind and use is as default
> but a few of users want to change it.
> In this case as you said, introducing hard limit parameter causes
> performance decrease significantly so how about adding detailed caution
> to the document like planner cost parameter?

There's nothing wrong with a parameter that is useful to some people
and harmless to everyone else, but the people who are proposing that
parameter still have to demonstrate that it has those properties.
This email thread is really short on clear demonstrations that X or Y
is useful.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company