Re: strings: ".. (compression)? is not supported by this build"

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: strings: ".. (compression)? is not supported by this build"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 10:33 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
> $ git grep 'is not supported by this build' '*c'
> src/backend/access/transam/xloginsert.c:                                                elog(ERROR, "LZ4 is not
supportedby this build");

> src/backend/access/transam/xloginsert.c:                                                elog(ERROR, "zstd is not
supportedby this build");

> src/backend/access/transam/xloginsert.c:                        elog(ERROR, "LZ4 is not supported by this build");
> src/backend/access/transam/xloginsert.c:                        elog(ERROR, "zstd is not supported by this build");
> src/backend/replication/basebackup_gzip.c:                       errmsg("gzip compression is not supported by this
build")));
> src/backend/replication/basebackup_lz4.c:                        errmsg("lz4 compression is not supported by this
build")));
> src/backend/replication/basebackup_zstd.c:                       errmsg("zstd compression is not supported by this
build")));

> Should the word "compression" be removed from basebackup, for consistency with
> the use in xloginsert.c ?  And "lz4" capitalization changed for consistency (in
> one direction or the other).  See 4035cd5d4, e9537321a7, 7cf085f07.  Maybe zstd
> should also be changed to Zstandard per 586955ddd.
>
> To avoid the extra translation, and allow the compiler to merge strings.

Translation isn't an issue here because the first group of messages
are reported using elog(), not ereport(). There is something to be
said for being consistent, though.

I feel like it's kind of awkward that this thing is named Zstandard
but the library is libzstd and the package name is probably also zstd.
I worry a bit that if we make the messages say zstandard instead of
zstd it makes it harder to figure out. It's probably not a huge issue,
though.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com