Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 10:56 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
> Could you comment on the patch I sent on Jan 30 ?  I think it would be squished
> into 0001.

I don't see why we have to do that. Seems fine to have it as a separate patch.

> Also, what about the idea to add HIDE_COMPRESSAM ?  Right now, your patch
> changes a great many regression tests, and I doubt many people are going to try
> to look closely to verify the differences, now, or when setting a non-default
> compression method.

Personally, my preference is to just update the test outputs. It's not
important whether many people look closely to verify the differences;
we just need to look them over on a one-time basis to see if they seem
OK. After that it's 0 effort, vs. having to maintain HIDE_COMPRESSAM
forever.

> Also, I think we may want to make enable-lz4 the default *for testing
> purposes*, now that the linux and BSD environments include that.

My guess was that would annoy some hackers whose build environments
got broken. If everyone thinks otherwise I'm willing to be persuaded,
but it's going to take more than 1 vote...

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com