Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 11:00 AM Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> wrote:
> Initially I was confused by that message, because of:
> CREATE TABLE t (i int) PARTITION BY RANGE (i);
> CREATE FOREIGN TABLE ftp_0_1 PARTITION OF t
>    FOR VALUES FROM (0) TO (1)
>    SERVER loopback OPTIONS (table_name 'lt_0_1');
> CREATE FOREIGN TABLE ftp_1_2 PARTITION OF t
>    FOR VALUES FROM (1) TO (2)
>    SERVER loopback OPTIONS (table_name 'lt_1_2');
> ALTER TABLE t MERGE PARTITIONS (ftp_0_1, ftp_1_2) INTO ftp_0_2;
> ERROR:  "ftp_0_1" is not a table
> (Isn't a foreign table a table?)

I agree that this can be confusing, but a patch that is about adding
SPLIT and MERGE PARTITION operations cannot decide to also invent a
new error message phraseology and use it only in one place. We need to
maintain consistency across the whole code base.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com