Re: documentation structure

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: documentation structure
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
OK, so I'm coming back to this thread after giving it a few days to
cool off. My last series of patches proposed to do five things:

1. Merge the four-sentence "Installation from Binaries" chapter back
into "Installation from Source". I thought this was a slam-dunk, but
Peter pointed out that exactly the opposite of this was done a few
years ago to create the "Installation from Binaries" chapter in the
first place. Based on subsequent discussion, what I'm now inclined to
do is come up with a new proposal that involves moving the information
about compiling from source to an appendix. So never mind about this
one for now.

2. Demote "Monitoring Disk Usage" from a chapter on its own to a
section of the "Monitoring Database Activity" chapter. I haven't seen
any objections to this, and I'd like to move ahead with it.

3. Merge the separate chapters on various built-in index AMs into one.
Peter didn't think this was a good idea, but Tom and Alvaro's comments
focused on how to do it mechanically, and on whether the chapters
needed to be reordered afterwards, which I took to mean that they were
OK with the basic concept. David Johnston was also clearly in favor of
it. So I'd like to move ahead with this one, too.

4. Consolidate the "Generic WAL Records" and "Custom WAL Resource
Managers" chapters, which cover related topics, into a single one. I
didn't see anyone object to this, but David Johnston pointed out that
the patch I posted was a few bricks short of a load, because it really
needed to put some introductory text into the new chapter. I'll study
this a bit more and propose a new patch that does the same thing a bit
more carefully than my previous version did.

5. Consolidate all of the procedural language chapters into one. This
was clearly the most controversial part of the proposal. I'm going to
lay this one aside for now and possibly come back to it at a later
time.

I hope that this way of proceeding makes sense to people.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com