Re: Large object + FREEZE?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Large object + FREEZE?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Now that we have COPY FREEZE, I'm thinking about adding similar option
> to creating large objects. In 9.3 the maximum size of large objects
> are increased. That means, the first access to a large object will
> trigger more writes because of hint bit updation. Also subsequent
> VACUUM may trigger that as well. If we could freeze arge objects while
> creating, it could reduce the writes dramatically as COPY FREEZE
> already does.
>
> Opinions?

COPY FREEZE only works if the table was created in the same
transaction.  Otherwise, an error midway through could leave the table
and index inconsistent.  I think that's a killer for this proposal,
because obviously when a large object is created, pg_largeobject will
be pre-existing.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company