Re: feature freeze and beta schedule

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: feature freeze and beta schedule
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> The schedule
> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2014_Developer_Meeting#9.5_Schedule>
> calls for beta in June.  In light of that, the core team has agreed to
> call for
>
>     feature freeze on May 15
>
> That means that all patches that add or change features should be
> committed by then.
>
> If you have spare cycles, there are a number of relevant patches still
> open in the commit fest.

What do we think this means in terms of the schedule for the final release?

Looking at the history:

9.4beta1 was stamped on May 11th; 9.4 was released December 18th.
9.3beta1 was stamped on May 6th; 9.3 was released September 9th.
9.2beta1 was stamped on May 10th; 9.2 was released September 10th.
9.1beta1 was stamped on April 27th; 9.1 was released September 12th.
9.0beta1 was stamped on April 30th; 9.0 was released September 20th.

So generally we have stamped in late April or early May and released
in September, but last year we didn't release until December.  I
assume that if we stamp beta1 in June instead of May, that's going to
somewhat delay the final release as well, but I'm not sure how much.

Looking at the CF page, we're doing better than I thought: we're down
from 113 patches to just 50.  That's good, but it's still an awful lot
to handle in the next two weeks.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company