Re: removing global variable ThisTimeLineID

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: removing global variable ThisTimeLineID
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 11:33 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> +   /*
> +    * If we're writing and flushing WAL, the time line can't be changing,
> +    * so no lock is required.
> +    */
> +   if (insertTLI)
> +       *insertTLI = XLogCtl->ThisTimeLineID;
> In 0002, there is no downside in putting that in the spinlock section
> either, no?  It seems to me that we should be able to call this one
> even in recovery, as flush LSNs exist while in recovery.

I don't think it matters very much from a performance point of view,
although putting a branch inside of a spinlock-protected section may
be undesirable. My bigger issues with this kind of idea is that we
don't want to use spinlocks as a "security blanket" (as in Linus from
Peanuts). Every time we use a spinlock, or any other kind of locking
mechanism, we should have a clear idea what we're protecting ourselves
against. I'm quite suspicious that there are a number of places where
we're taking spinlocks in xlog.c just to feel virtuous, and not
because it does anything useful, and I don't particularly want to
increase the number of such places.

Also, XLogCtl->ThisTimeLineID isn't set until the end of recovery, so
calling this function during recovery would be a mistake. There seem
to be a number of interface functions in xlog.c that should only be
called when not in recovery, and neither their names nor their
comments make that clear. I wasn't bold enough to go label all the
ones I think fall into that category, but maybe we should. Honestly,
the naming of things in this file is annoyingly bad in general. My
favorite example, found during this project, is:

#define ConvertToXSegs(x, segsize)  XLogMBVarToSegs((x), (segsize))

It's not good enough to have one name that's difficult to understand
or remember or capitalize properly -- let's have TWO -- for the same
thing!

> In 0007, XLogFileClose() should reset openLogTLI.  The same can be
> said in BootStrapXLOG() before creating the control file.  It may be
> cleaner here to introduce an InvalidTimelineId, as discussed a couple
> of days ago.

I thought about that, but I think it's pointless. I think we can just
say that if openLogFile == -1, openLogSegNo and openLogTLI are
meaningless. I don't think we're currently resetting openLogSegNo to
an invalid value either, so I don't think openLogTLI should be treated
differently. I'm not opposed to introducing InvalidTimeLineID on
principle, and I looked for a way of doing it in this patch set, but
it didn't seem all that valuable, and I feel that someone who cares
about it can do it as a separate effort after I commit these.
Honestly, I think these patches greatly reduce the need to be afraid
of leaving the TLI unset, because they remove the crutch of hoping
that ThisTimeLineID is initialized to the proper value. You actually
have to think about which TLI you are going to pass. Now I'm very sure
further improvement is possible, but I think this patch set is complex
enough already, and I'd like to get it committed before contemplating
any other work in this area.

> Some comments at the top of recoveryTargetTLIRequested need a refresh
> with their references to ThisTimelineID.

After thinking this over, I think we should just delete the entire
first paragraph, so that the comments start like this:

/*
 * recoveryTargetTimeLineGoal: what the user requested, if any
 *
 * recoveryTargetTLIRequested: numeric value of requested timeline, if constant

I don't see that we'd be losing anything that way. When you look at
that paragraph now, the first sentence is just confusing the issue,
because we actually don't care about XLogCtl->ThisTimeLineID during
recovery, because it's not set. We do care about plain old
ThisTimeLineID, but that's going to be demoted to a local variable by
these patches, and there just doesn't seem to be any reason to discuss
it here. The second sentence is wrong already, because the rmgr
routines do not rely on ThisTimeLineID. And the third sentence is also
wrong and/or confusing, because not all of the variables that follow
are TLIs -- only 3 of 5 are. I don't actually think there's any useful
introduction we need to provide here; we just need to tell people what
the variables we're about to declare do.

> The handling of XLogCtl->ThisTimeLineID still seems a bit blurry when
> it comes to timeline switches because we don't update it while in
> recovery when replaying a end-of-recovery record.  This could at least
> be documented better.

We don't update it during recovery at all. There's exactly one
assignment statement for that variable and it's here:

    /* Save the selected TimeLineID in shared memory, too */
    XLogCtl->ThisTimeLineID = ThisTimeLineID;
    XLogCtl->PrevTimeLineID = PrevTimeLineID;

That's after the main redo loop completes.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com