Re: tablespaces inside $PGDATA considered harmful

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: tablespaces inside $PGDATA considered harmful
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2015-04-23 15:46:20 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Well, we've made backward-incompatible changes before.  Not to this
>> specific thing, but in general.  I don't think there's anything
>> preventing us from doing so here, except that we don't want to annoy
>> too many users.
>
> I think the number of users that have done this, and haven't yet
> (knowing or unknowningly) been bitten by it is pretty low. In that
> scenario it seems much better to break compatibility given that it's
> pretty easy to fix during restore (just precreate the tablespace).  It's
> not something you have to retest a whole application for.
>
> If you want to avoid that one error you can still do pg_dumpall
> --globals, edit and run that script, and only then restore the the
> actual databases.

But pg_upgrade automates all that, so you can't use pg_upgrade in that
case.  If we add a GUC as I suggested, you can still use pg_upgrade.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: tablespaces inside $PGDATA considered harmful
Сообщение: Re: tablespaces inside $PGDATA considered harmful