Re: initdb and fsync

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: initdb and fsync
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On sön, 2012-02-05 at 10:53 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
>> > initdb should do these syncs by default and offer an option to
>> disable them.
>>
>> For test frameworks that run initdb often, that makes sense.
>>
>> But for developers, it doesn't make sense to spend 0.5s typing an
>> option
>> that saves you 0.3s. So, we'd need some more convenient way to choose
>> the no-fsync option, like an environment variable that developers can
>> set. Or maybe developers don't care about 0.3s?
>>
> You can use https://launchpad.net/libeatmydata for those cases.

That's hilarious.

But, a command-line option seems more convenient.

It also seems entirely sufficient.  The comments above suggest that it
would take too long to type the option, but any PG developers who are
worried about the speed difference surely know how to create shell
aliases, shell functions, shell scripts, ... and if anyone's really
concerned about it, we can provide a short form for the option.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company