enable parallel query by default?

От Robert Haas
Тема enable parallel query by default?
Дата
Re: enable parallel query by default?  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Re: enable parallel query by default?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

One of the questions I have about parallel query is whether it should
be enabled by default.  That is, should we make the default value of
max_parallel_degree to a value higher than 0?  Perhaps 1, say?

There are some good reasons why this might be a bad idea, such as:

- As discussed on a nearby thread, there is every possibility of nasty bugs.
- Parallel query uses substantially more resources than a regular
query, which might overload your system.

On the other hand:

- Features that are on by default get more testing and thus might get
less buggy more quickly.
- A lot of people don't change the default configuration and thus
wouldn't get any benefit from the feature if it's not on by default.

Thoughts?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company