Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 2:51 PM Kirk Wolak <wolakk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do wonder if we could add better threading within any given session/process to get a hybrid?
> [maybe this gets us closer to solving some of the problems incrementally?]

I don't think it helps much -- if anything, I think that would be more
complicated.

> If I could have anything (today)... I would prefer a Master-Master Implementation leveraging some
> of the ultra-fast server-server communication protocols to help sync things.  Then I wouldn't care.
> I could avoid the O/S  Overwhelm caused by excessive processes, via spinning up machines.
> [Unfortunately I know that PG leverages the filesystem cache, etc to such a degree that communicating
> from one master to another would require a really special architecture there.  And the N! communication lines].

I think there's plenty of interesting things to improve in this area,
but they're different things than what this thread is about.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com