Re: Check constraints on partition parents only?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Check constraints on partition parents only?
Дата
Re: Check constraints on partition parents only?
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 4:12 AM, Nikhil Sontakke
<nikhil.sontakke@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> Yeah.  I think it's good that there's a barrier to blindly dropping a
>> constraint that may be important to have on children, but there should
>> be a way to override that.
>
> Hmmm, but then it does open up the possibility of naive users shooting
> themselves in the foot. It can be easy to conjure up a
> parent-only-constraint that does not gel too well with its children. And
> that's precisely why this feature was added in the first place..

Yeah, but I think we need to take that chance.  At the very least, we
need to support the equivalent of a non-inherited CHECK (false) on
parent tables.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company