Re: refactoring basebackup.c

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: refactoring basebackup.c
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 2:37 AM Dipesh Pandit <dipesh.pandit@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have updated the patches to support server compression (gzip) for
> plain format backup. Please find attached v4 patches.

I made a pass over these patches today and made a bunch of minor
corrections. New version attached. The two biggest things I changed
are (1) s/gzip_extractor/gzip_compressor/, because I feel like you
extract an archive like a tarfile, but that is not what is happening
here, this is not an archive and (2) I took a few bits of out of the
test case that didn't seem to be necessary. There wasn't any reason
that I could see why testing for PG_VERSION needed to be skipped when
the compression method is 'none', so my first thought was to just take
out the 'if' statement around that, but then after more thought that
test and the one for pg_verifybackup are certainly going to fail if
those files are not present, so why have an extra test? It might make
sense if we were only conditionally able to run pg_verifybackup and
wanted to have some test coverage even when we can't, but that's not
the case here, so I see no point.

I studied this a bit to see whether I needed to make any adjustments
along the lines of 4f0bcc735038e96404fae59aa16ef9beaf6bb0aa in order
for this to work on msys. I think I don't, because 002_algorithm.pl
and 003_corruption.pl both pass $backup_path, not $real_backup_path,
to command_ok -- and I think something inside there does the
translation, which is weird, but we might as well be consistent.
008_untar.pl and 4f0bcc735038e96404fae59aa16ef9beaf6bb0aa needed to do
something different because --target server:X confused the msys magic,
but I think that shouldn't be an issue for this patch. However, I
might be wrong.

Barring objections or problems, I plan to commit this version
tomorrow. I'd do it today, but I have plans for tonight that are
incompatible with discovering that the build farm hates this ....

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Creation of an empty table is not fsync'd at checkpoint
Сообщение: Re: Creation of an empty table is not fsync'd at checkpoint