Re: Race condition in recovery?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Race condition in recovery?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 1:50 PM Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> Heres a snippet:
>
>     sub perl2host
>     {
>         my ($subject) = @_;
>         if (chdir $subject)
>
> Last time I looked you can't chdir to anything except a directory.

OK, but like I said, you can't tell that from the documentation. The
documentation says: "Translate a virtual file name to a host file
name. Currently, this is a no-op except for the case of Perl=msys and
host=mingw32.  The subject need not exist, but its parent or
grandparent directory must exist unless cygpath is available." If you
look just at that, there's nothing that would lead you to believe that
it has to be a directory name.

> I was trying to get the buildfarm green again. There have been plenty of
> times when small patches directly for such fixes have been committed
> directly. And that's the only circumstance when I do.

I wasn't intending to criticize your work on this. I really appreciate
it, in fact, as I also said to you off-list. I do think that there
were some small things in those patches where a little bit of quick
discussion might have been useful: e.g. should the archive_command
change have gone in in the first place? Do we need any comments to
explain the fixes? But it's not like it's a big deal either. I'm
certainly not disagreeing with the goodness of making the buildfarm
green as expediently as possible.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com