Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)
Дата
Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 5:48 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> ... btw, I just noticed something that had escaped me because it seems so
> obviously wrong that I had not even stopped to consider the possibility
> that the code was doing what it's doing.  To wit, that the planner
> supposes that two foreign tables are potentially remote-joinable if they
> share the same underlying FDW handler function.  Not the same server, and
> not even the same pg_foreign_data_wrapper entry, but the pg_proc entry for
> the handler function.  I think this is fundamentally bogus.  Under what
> circumstances are we not just laying off the need to check same server
> origin onto the FDW?  How is it that the urgent need for the FDW to check
> for that isn't even mentioned in the documentation?
>
> I think that we'd really be better off insisting on same server (as in
> same pg_foreign_server OID), hence automatically same FDW, and what's
> even more important, same user mapping for any possible query execution
> context.  The possibility that there are some corner cases where some FDWs
> could optimize other scenarios seems to me to be poor return for the bugs
> and security holes that will arise any time typical FDWs forget to check
> this.

I originally wanted to go quite the other way with this and check for
join pushdown via handler X any time at least one of the two relations
involved used handler X, even if the other one used some other handler
or was a plain table.  In particular, it seems to me quite plausible
to want to teach an FDW that a certain local table is replicated on a
remote node, allowing a join between a foreign table and a plain table
to be pushed down.  This infrastructure can't be used that way anyhow,
so maybe there's no harm in tightening it up, but I'm wary of
circumscribing what FDW authors can do.  I think it's better to be
rather expansive in terms of when we call them and let them return
without doing anything some of them time than to define the situations
in which we call them too narrowly and end up ruling out interesting
use cases.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company