Re: Eliminating SPI from RI triggers - take 2

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Eliminating SPI from RI triggers - take 2
Дата
Re: Eliminating SPI from RI triggers - take 2  (Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 2:23 AM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I hacked together a patch (attached 0001) that invents an "RI
> plan" construct (struct RIPlan) to replace the use of an "SPI plan"
> (struct _SPI_plan).
>
> With that in place, I decided to rebase my previous patch [1] to use
> this new interface and the result is attached 0002.

I think inventing something like RIPlan is probably reasonable, but
I'm not sure how much it really does to address the objections that
were raised previously. How do we know that ri_LookupKeyInPkRel does
all the same things that executing a plan would have done? I see that
function contains permission-checking logic, for example, as well as
snapshot-related logic, and maybe there are other subsystems to worry
about, like rules or triggers or row-level security. Maybe there's no
answer to that problem other than careful manual verification, because
after all the only way to be 100% certain we're doing all the things
that would happen if you executed a plan is to execute a plan, which
kind of defeats the point of the whole thing. All I'm saying is that
I'm not sure that this refactoring in and of itself addresses that
concern.

As far as 0002 goes, the part I'm most skeptical about is this:

+static bool
+ri_LookupKeyInPkRelPlanIsValid(RI_Plan *plan)
+{
+ /* Never store anything that can be invalidated. */
+ return true;
+}

Isn't that leaving rather a lot on the table? ri_LookupKeyInPkRel is
going to be called a lot of times and do a lot of things over and over
again that maybe only need to be done once, like checking permissions
and looking up the operators to use and reopening the index. And all
the stuff ExecGetLeafPartitionForKey does too, yikes that's a lot of
stuff. Now maybe that's what Tom wants, I don't know. Certainly, the
existing SQL-based implementation is going to do that stuff on every
call, too; I'm just not sure that's a good thing. I think there's some
debate to be had here over what behavior we need to preserve exactly
vs. what we can and should change. For instance, it seems clear to me
that leaving out permissions checks altogether would be not OK, but if
this implementation arranged to cache the results of a permission
check and the SQL-based implementations don't, is that OK? Maybe Tom
would argue that it isn't, because he considers that a part of the
user-visible behavior, but I'm not sure that's the right view of it. I
think what we're promising the user is that we will check permissions,
not that we're going to do it separately for every trigger firing, or
even that every kind of trigger is going to do it exactly the same
number of times as every other trigger. I think we need some input
from Tom (and perhaps others) on how rigidly we need to maintain the
high-level behavior here before we can really say much about whether
the implementation is as good as it can be.

I suspect, though, that there's more that can be done here in terms of
sharing code. For instance, picking on the permissions checking logic,
presumably that's something that every non-SQL implementation would
need to do. But the rest of what's in ri_LookupKeyInPkRel() is
specific to one particular kind of trigger. If we had multiple non-SQL
trigger types, we'd want to somehow have common logic for permissions
checking for all of them.

I also suspect that we ought to have a separation between planning and
execution even for non-SQL based things. You don't really have that
here. What that ought to look like, though, depends on the answers to
the questions above, about how exactly we think we need to reproduce
the existing behavior.

I find my ego slightly wounded by the comment that "the partition
descriptor machinery has a hack that assumes that the queries
originating in this module push the latest snapshot in the
transaction-snapshot mode." It's true that the partition descriptor
machinery gives different answers depending on the active snapshot,
but, err, is that a hack, or just a perfectly reasonable design
decision? An alternative might be for PartitionDirectoryLookup to take
a snapshot as an explicit argument rather than relying on the global
variable to get that information from context. I generally feel that
we rely too much on global variables where we should be passing around
explicit parameters, so if you're just arguing that explicit
parameters would be better here, then I agree and just didn't think of
it. If you're arguing that making the answer depend on the snapshot is
itself a bad idea, I don't agree with that.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com