Re: backtrace_on_internal_error

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: backtrace_on_internal_error
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 11:29 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> IMO, we aren't really going to get a massive payoff from this with
> the current backtrace output; it's just not detailed enough.  It's
> better than nothing certainly, but to really move the goalposts
> we'd need something approaching gdb's "bt full" output.  I wonder
> if it'd be sane to try to auto-invoke gdb.  That's just blue sky
> for now, though.  In the meantime, I agree with the proposal as it
> stands (that is, auto-backtrace on any XX000 error).  We'll soon find
> out whether it's useless, or needs more detail to be really helpful,
> or is just right as it is.  Once we have some practical experience
> with it, we can course-correct as needed.

That all seems fair to me. I'm more optimistic than you are about
getting something useful out of the current backtrace output, but (1)
I could be wrong, (2) I'd still like to have something better, and (3)
improving the backtrace output is a separate project from including
backtraces more frequently.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com