Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> It appears that the buildfarm animal brolga isn't happy about this
> patch. I'm not sure why, since I thought we already figured out bugs
> or other inconsistencies in various strxfrm() implementations.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that strxfrm() is
returning strings that, when sorted, do not give the same order we
would have obtained via strcoll().  It's true that there are existing
callers of strxfrm(), but it looks like that is mostly used for
statistics-gathering, so it's possible that differences vs. strcoll()
would not have shown up before now.  Is there any legitimate way that
strxfrm() and strcoll() can return inconsistent answers - e.g. they
are somehow allowed to derive their notion of the relevant locale
differently - or is this just a case of Cygwin being busted?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company