Re: ALTER ROLE SET/RESET for multiple options

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: ALTER ROLE SET/RESET for multiple options
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Payal Singh <payal@omniti.com> wrote:
>>> The feature seems to work as described, but is it necessary to enclose multiple GUC settings in a parenthesis? This
seemsa deviation from the usual syntax of altering multiple settings separated with comma.

>> Well, note that you can say:
>>
>> ALTER USER bob SET search_path = a, b, c;
>>
>> I'm not sure how the parentheses help exactly; it seems like there is
>> an inherit ambiguity either way.
>>

> I thought it would be useful for user who wants to set several GUC
> parameter for each user. Especially the case where changing logging
> parameter for each user.
> But it might not bring us fantastic usability.

Yeah, it doesn't really seem like it's worth trying to figure out a
syntax for this that can work.  It just doesn't buy us very much vs.
issuing one ALTER COMMAND per setting.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company