Re: [HACKERS] Why are we restricting exported snapshots in subtransactions?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Why are we restricting exported snapshots in subtransactions?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> ExportSnapshot() has, right at the beginning, the following block:
>
>     /*
>      * We cannot export a snapshot from a subtransaction because there's no
>      * easy way for importers to verify that the same subtransaction is still
>      * running.
>      */
>     if (IsSubTransaction())
>         ereport(ERROR,
>                 (errcode(ERRCODE_ACTIVE_SQL_TRANSACTION),
>                  errmsg("cannot export a snapshot from a subtransaction")));
>
> that reasoning doesn't seem to make too much sense to me. Given that
> exported snapshots don't make the exporting-transaction's changes
> visible, I don't see why that restriction is needed?
>
> As long as the exported snapshot enforces xmin to be retained, which it
> does via the pairingheap, I don't understand why we'd have to enforce
> that the subtransaction is still running?

I think you're touching on what is perhaps the key issue here, which
is that if it were possible to remove a tuple that the snapshot ought
to see before the snapshot got used, that would be bad.  I don't
immediately see why we couldn't remove a tuple inserted by the aborted
subtransaction immediately.  On a quick look, it seems to me that
HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum() could fall through all the way to this
case:
                       /*                        * Not in Progress, Not Committed, so either
Aborted or crashed                        */                       SetHintBits(tuple, buffer, HEAP_XMIN_INVALID,
                                      InvalidTransactionId);                       return HEAPTUPLE_DEAD;

Even If I'm wrong about that, it seems like someone might want to make
me correct in the future - i.e. removing aborted tuples ASAP seems
like a good idea.

Another point to consider is whether a relfilenode assignment visible
to that snapshot might be a file that's since been truncated or
removed altogether.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company