Re: public schema default ACL

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: public schema default ACL
Дата
Re: public schema default ACL  (Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 2:30 AM Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> Between (b)(2)(X) and (b)(3)(X), what are folks' preferences?  Does anyone
> strongly favor some other option (including the option of changing nothing)
> over both of those two?

I don't think we have any options here that are secure but do not
break backward compatibility. The present situation, with a writable
public schema, is equivalent to a UNIX system in which /usr/bin is
drwxrwxrwt. Nobody would seriously propose that such a system design
is secure, not so much because it's intrinsically broken if everyone
is careful not to execute any executables they don't know to have been
deposited by people they trust, but because it's quite easy to
accidentally execute one that isn't. However, if people are used to
being able to deposit stuff in /usr/bin and you tell them that they
now can't (because the permissions will henceforth be drwxr-xr-x or
the directly won't exist at all) then some of them are going to
complain. I don't know what to do about that: it's a straightforward
trade-off between security and backward compatibility, and you can't
have both.

I support the idea of having an automatic schema creation option. I
think that would be quite a cool thing to have, whether it's the
default (Y) or not (Z). But I don't know how to choose between (1),
(2), and (3).

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company