Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 5:45 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> People have argued that the process model is more robust. But it turns out
> that we have to crash-restart for just about any "bad failure" anyway. It used
> to be (a long time ago) that we didn't, but that was just broken.

How hard have you thought about memory leaks as a failure mode? Or
file descriptor leaks?

Right now, a process needs to release all of its shared resources
before exiting, or trigger a crash-and-restart cycle. But it doesn't
need to release any process-local resources, because the OS will take
care of that. But that wouldn't be true any more, and that seems like
it might require fixing quite a few things.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com