Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 2:10 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2018-Nov-06, Robert Haas wrote:
> > If you don't throw an error when a partition is concurrently detached
> > and then someone routes a tuple to that portion of the key space, what
> > DO you do?  Continue inserting tuples into the table even though it's
> > no longer a partition?
>
> Yes -- the table was a partition when the query started, so it's still
> a partition from the point of view of that query's snapshot.

I think it's important to point out that DDL does not in general
respect the query snapshot.  For example, you can query a table that
was created by a transaction not visible to your query snapshot.  You
cannot query a table that was dropped by a transaction not visible to
your query snapshot.  If someone runs ALTER FUNCTION on a function
your query uses, you get the latest committed version, not the version
that was current at the time your query snapshot was created.  So, if
we go with the semantics you are proposing here, we will be making
this DDL behave differently from pretty much all other DDL.

Possibly that's OK in this case, but it's easy to think of other cases
where it could cause problems.  To take an example that I believe was
discussed on-list a number of years ago, suppose that ADD CONSTRAINT
worked according to the model that you are proposing for ATTACH
PARTITION.  If it did, then one transaction could be concurrently
inserting a tuple while another transaction was adding a constraint
which the tuple fails to satisfy.  Once both transactions commit, you
have a table with a supposedly-valid constraint and a tuple inside of
it that doesn't satisfy that constraint.  Obviously, that's no good.

I'm not entirely sure whether there are any similar dangers in the
case of DETACH PARTITION.  I think it depends a lot on what can be
done with that detached partition while the overlapping transaction is
still active.  For instance, suppose you attached it to the original
table with a different set of partition bounds, or attached it to some
other table with a different set of partition bounds.  If you can do
that, then I think it effectively creates the problem described in the
previous paragraph with respect to the partition constraint.

IOW, we've got to somehow prevent this:

setup: partition is attached with bounds 1 to a million
S1: COPY begins
S2: partition is detached
S2: partition is reattached with bounds 1 to a thousand
S1: still-running copy inserts a tuple with value ten thousand

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY
Сообщение: Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY