Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 7:26 AM Nitin Jadhav
<nitinjadhavpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I really don't know what to say about this. You say that the time is
> > measured in milliseconds, and then immediately turn around and say
> > "For example, if you set it to 10s". Now we do expect that most people
> > will set it to intervals that are measured in seconds rather than
> > milliseconds, but saying that setting it to a value measured in
> > seconds is an example of setting it in milliseconds is not logical.
>
> Based on the statement "I suggest making the GUC GUC_UNIT_MS rather
> than GUC_UNIT_S, but expressing the default in postgresl.conf.sample
> as 10s rather than 10000ms", I have used the default value in the
> postgresl.conf.sample as 10s rather than 10000ms. So I just used the
> same value in the example too in config.sgml. If it is really getting
> confusing, I will change it to 100ms in config.sgml.

That's really not what I'm complaining about. I think if we're going
to give an example at all, 10ms is a better example than 100ms,
because 10s is a value that people are more likely to find useful. But
I'm not sure that it's necessary to mention a specific value, and if
it is, I think it needs to be phrased in a less confusing way.

> Made changes which indicate 0 mean disabled, > 0 mean interval in
> millisecond and removed -1.

Well, I see that -1 is now disallowed, and that's good as far as it
goes, but 0 still does not actually disable the feature. I don't
understand why you posted the previous version of the patch without
testing that it works, and I even less understand why you are posting
another version without fixing the bug that I pointed out to you in
the last version.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com